Changes in the entry requirements to Hungary due to COVID-19 pandemic from 1 September 2020
As of 1 September 2020, the Hungarian Government imposed new restrictive entry measures to Hungary with later modifications.
Hungarian citizens can enter Hungary after a health screening at the border. Upon entry, they have to go to home quarantine for 10 days. The quarantine period can be shortened by two negative PCR tests taken at least two days apart. Tests cannot be done abroad or prior to the arrival to Hungary.
Same regulation applies to the following persons:
- Hungarian citizens' family members;
- permanent residents and their family members (proved by legal documents);
- persons holding a valid long-term (over 90 days) permit (including D-type visa holders);
- business travelers;
- professional athletes or members of sports organizations in specifiic cases;
- foreign audience of sports and cultural events;
- transit traffic.
Non-Hungarian citizens - in general - may not enter Hungary, except with reasonable reasons which must be approved by the Hungarian Police in advance. An equity request to enter Hungary has to be submitted electronically on a dedicated website.
Updated information and official statements are available on the Hungarian Government's English language website: www.abouthungary.hu.